President – Greater New Braunfels Chamber of Commerce
Please email resume and cover letter to:
Presidential Search Committee
Greater New Braunfels Chamber of Commerce
Attn: Lilia Marek
Applications will be accepted between January 15, 2021, and February 15, 2021.
Desired Start Date: No later than July 15, 2021
The Greater New Braunfels Chamber of Commerce ("GNBCC" or the "Chamber") is seeking an experienced executive as its next President. The ideal candidate will possess leadership skills essential for leading a dynamic Chamber in a fast-growth region in the Texas Hill Country along the burgeoning I-35 Corridor. The person should possess demonstrated success in directing a chamber of commerce; economic development programs; and tourism, convention and visitor services.
The GNBCC’s mission is to promote the civic and commercial progress of the area, serving over 1,800 local businesses. In addition to leading a large Chamber, the President is a critical partner for regional economic development and the Convention and Visitors’ Bureau ("CVB") through professional services contracts with the City of New Braunfels and Comal County. The Chamber works to strengthen the local economy, advocate for its members and the community, advance community excellence, and deliver value to its members.
The President reports to the Board of Directors and works closely with the six-member Executive Committee of which the President is a member. The President supervises a staff of approximately 18 employees, manages an annual budget of approximately $4 million, and serves as the GNBCC’s strategic leader, public face, and spokesperson.
Competitive compensation and benefits package.
- Bachelor’s degree
- At least 10 years of progressive leadership experience in an executive role within a public or private organization or at a large state or regional chamber of commerce
Additional Desired Qualifications and Skills:
- Advanced degree in business, law, political science, public administration, or related field
- Relevant professional certifications
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Attributes
- A strong character, unquestioned integrity, emotional intelligence, and sound reputation
- Demonstrated people skills with staff, members, and constituencies
- Ability to build trust and maintain relationships and partnerships with diverse constituencies
- Willingness to work the hours necessary to meet the job’s internal and external obligations
- Ability to maintain strong board relations, including keeping them informed of current political and community issues and implications
- A strong understanding and appreciation of the culture of Central Texas
- Ability to interpret community context and to adjust approach to build coalitions that ultimately accomplish strategic goals
- Understanding of, and experience in, economic development
- Demonstrated knowledge of best practices in management, effective strategies in coalition building, conflict resolution and negotiation, and financial strategies
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, including empathy and oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated history of building strong community relations
- Ability to communicate the Chamber’s vision, mission, and values consistently to the Chamber Board, staff, and community
- Demonstrated skills as a visionary and adaptive thinker in changing work patterns and environment
- Understanding and experience with fundraising for a membership organization
- Political and policy awareness and an understanding of the Texas legislative process to achieve desired outcomes
- Understanding of, and experience in, marketing, tourism, visitor services, and convention business
- Understanding of regional needs, such as water, transportation, etc.
- Understanding how federal legislation will affect the local economy
- Understanding the use of technology and data systems for communications, problem solving, reporting, and to further the Chamber’s mission in an ever-changing environment
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Promotes the Chamber’s vision and establishes the priorities for programs and initiatives that align with the Chamber’s mission and goals.
- Oversees, directs and assumes responsibility for all GNBCC’s operations and for ensuring the Chamber is functioning ethically, efficiently, and effectively.
- Coordinates and facilitates the efforts of the GNBCC’s committees to meet the goals and objectives of the Board of Directors.
- Communicates frequently with the Chair of the Board, other Executive Committee members, and individual board members to provide relevant and transparent counsel for all meetings, events, and presentations.
- Assesses the effectiveness of Chamber divisions and programs to determine present and future needs and reports the progress and successes to the Board of Directors.
- Establishes, interprets, and upholds the Chamber’s policies and procedures.
- Leads the Chamber’s staff as the executive responsible for all employment/staffing, supervision, work assignments, workplace culture, professional development, evaluations, and staff compensation.
- Creates and promotes a harmonious team-based working environment that fosters collaboration and common goals.
- Participates in operations of local New Braunfels Economic Development Corporation ("NBEDC/4B Board") and influences its interactions with the Chamber.
- Directs the New Braunfels Economic Development Foundation, a 501(c)3.
- Partners closely with the City of New Braunfels, New Braunfels Utilities, Comal County, Guadalupe County, and Bexar County for recruitment, retention, expansion and creation of jobs and for business development in New Braunfels and the region.
- Helps build consensus around economic and community development objectives and support the implementation of those objectives.
- Leads opportunities to encourage local entrepreneurship and small business development.
- Manages all aspects of the GNBCC’s finances, budgeting, and financial reports.
- Leads the Chamber’s fundraising initiatives through cultivating strong relationships and participating in stewardship activities.
- Maintains and grows membership to provide the GNBCC’s financial foundation.
- Develops and maintains high-functioning, strategic partnerships with local chambers of commerce and business organizations to coordinate lobbying and economic development activities as needed.
- Sustains and builds relationships with other organizations related to the Chamber’s interests and needs.
- Fosters and maintains positive relationships with other area cities, counties, chambers of commerce, economic development boards, higher education institutions, and school districts (e.g., City of Seguin, CTTC, Seguin 4A Board, etc.)
- Serves as the Chamber’s primary spokesperson to the media, through public speeches and writings, and represents the Chamber with its many partners and regional interests.
- Implements a comprehensive plan, including social media and website, with members, partners, elected officials, and other constituencies to communicate the Chamber’s messages and brand, and enhance its visibility.
- Directs and participates in the Chamber’s advocacy initiatives.
- Cultivates relationships and maintains strong communication lines with federal, state, county, city and other officials with public policy leaders to support the region’s business interests.
- Guides activities related to maintaining effective member relationships.
- Maintains effective, open communication with members.
- Motivates a diverse membership to financially support the GNBCC and initiatives led or supported by the Chamber.
Strategic and Annual Planning
- Formulates long-term plans related to the Chamber’s goals in economic development, tourism and CVB as well as Chamber’s initiatives.
- Prepares and implements the GNBCC’s annual strategy, goals and objectives.
- Coordinates with staff GNBCC’s special events, i.e., Texas Legislative Conference, Annual Chamber Banquet, annual Chamber meetings, and other events approved by the Chamber Board.
- Enhances and builds relationships with other local/regional chambers of commerce, business organizations, and non-profit organizations by participating in and/or showing support for their special events.